HealthFest 2018 offered Upper School students an abundance of opportunities to learn, grow, and better understand wellness in a comprehensive, holistic way.
The day-long program on Tuesday, Dec. 4 included a keynote address by Executive Director of Campus Outreach Services for the National Sexual Violence Resource Center Katie Koestner. She spoke with students, and later to parents, about social media, privacy, and their impact on relationships. Previously, Koestner has presented on cyber misconduct and digital footprints to Fortune 500 companies, Harvard and MIT, the Pentagon, and the FBI.
Following the presentation, students engaged in sessions on a range of topics, including vaping, mental illness, yoga, mindfulness, personal safety, and more. The Class of 2019 also participated in CRP/first aid training, as well as viewed a screening of Haze, a documentary produced by the Gordie Center at the University of Virginia (U.Va.) that "connects the dots" between college drinking and hazing, on Monday, Dec. 3. Following the screening, students and parents engaged in discussions led by U.Va. Peer Educators.
Thank you to all of our community volunteers who came to campus to offer workshops and guidance, including:
- Albemarle County Fire Rescue
- Anita Brockette
- Detective Brian O'Donnell of the Jefferson Area Drug Enforcement (JADE)
- Carly Mount, Psy.D.
- Jeremy Eith and Lizzy Leitch, St. Anne's-Belfield School Athletic Trainers
- Dr. Jorge Diaz, University of Virginia
- Nurse Kelly Vincel, Pediatric Associates
- Kristin Wenger, Blue Ridge Poison Center
- Laurie Jean Seaman, Sexual Assault Resource Agency
- Robin J. Albertson-Wren, St. Anne's-Belfield School
- Roger Von Braun, Suicide Prevention Advocate
- Scottsville Rescue Squad
- Shannon Burns, Flydog Yoga
- Dr. Thomas M. Daniel, M. D., University of Virginia
- University of Virginia Gordie Center
Similarly, Grades 5 - 8 parents were invited to join Michele Mathieson, Angie McHugh, and Sarah FitzHenry on Thursday, Dec. 6 for an overview and discussion based on Koestner's presentation and further conversation on the impact of social media and children's digital footprints.